Meet the doctor — Ashraf Abaza, MD
- Chief, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, and ECT services, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, Northport VA Medical Center, New York
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Stony Brook Medical School, New York State University at Stony Brook, New York from 1994 to 2012
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) 1995. Eligible for American Board of Psychosomatic Medicine.
- Dr. Abaza graduated with honors from the renowned School of Medicine at the University of Alexandria, Egypt, in 1984. He ran a private practice from 1985-1990. He completed his residency training in Psychiatry and served as a chief resident at the Brookdale hospital Medical center and SUNY @ Downstate, New York in 1994.
- Completed a fellowship in Consultation-liaison Psychiatry from SUNY@ Stony Brook in 1995 where he gained experience in treating psychiatric disorders in the context of severe medical illness and burn traumas.
- Areas of special interest and experience include : Resistant depression, Postpartum Depression, Medical and psychiatric conditions associated with depression, Complex psychopharmacology and Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), as well as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Dr. Abaza also has an interest in Disaster Psychiatry and worked with families of victims of airline crashes, including Egypt-Air crash in 1999 off the shores of long Island and Nantucket.
- Dr. Abaza lead task forces on suicide prevention at the Northport VA medical center and has an extensive experience in suicide prevention among veterans, University students and geriatric populations.